Saturday, July 12, 2014

There's a Super Moon Tonight

My mother called tonight and told me to go outside to see the ''Super Moon''.   I had no idea what a super moon was and the idea of getting off my lazy butt to look at one didn't thrill me either...  but,  being the great daughter I am, I did as asked and went as far as the window to see it.  It looked just like any other moon any other night to me.

For those who, like me, didn't know what a ''super moon'' is...it's just when the moon is at its closest position to the Earth.  It looks normal.  Not huge and orange like a Harvest moon.  A Harvest moon is worth going farther than the window to look at.

The moon has always held some special place in the hearts and minds of man.  It's symbolized romance I suppose for all of history.  It's written into many a song.  It held us captive in 1969...as my husband and I watched a television through a store window at the moon landing...the first man to walk on it..the American flag being put up on it.  It was amazing.  Back then, sci-fi movies were about going to the moon, and martians and all that, so seeing what could only be imagined or seen in movies or read about in comic books actually happening in real time right before our eyes...WOW!
That's old hat now, yet, compared to that moment...the ''super'' moon just isn't that super.

The one thing I love most about the moon now, is that I can be looking at it at the very same time my best friend is looking at it.  So, even though we are separated by about 800 miles, it is almost like we are standing next to each other...we just can't be that far apart.  For me, that's a true ''super moon''.

No comments:

Post a Comment